Photoshop For Teens and Beginners: Understanding Layer Masks
Today I will show you one of the most powerful Photoshop tool: layer masks. They can seem difficult to use to a beginner, but once you understand how they work, you won’t need the Eraser tool anymore. A layer mask in Photoshop is used to control a layer's transparency. We all get used to using the erasers to remove parts of an image we don’t want; the magic eraser is especially fun to use. But, the erasers can only be used in certain situations. Using the eraser is a destructive process with Photoshop which means we are getting rid of the pixels in our image we are erasing. In this tutorial you are going to look at one of the most essential features in all of Photoshop – layer masks. Using layer masks is a non-destructive process because the pixels we are trying to remove are not being destroyed, as you
will see the pixels are still there even if we can’t see them and we can bring them back!
We willl cover what layer masks are in this tutorial, how layer masks work, and why you might want to use a layer mask. Some people think using layer masks is difficult but if you can tell the difference between black and white and can paint with Photoshop’s Brush Tool, you already have all the skills you need.
This video will show you:
-What is a layer mask?
-Layer mask creation
-Hiding and revealing a layer
Checkout our teen graphic design bundle: Semester bundle of Photoshop lesson plans for teens – graphic design made easy! Save time and money with these twenty step-by-step lessons for teens for only $83.
Teach Photoshop CS4/CS5/CS6 with these specially designed and tested lessons by https://engagingtechlessons.blogspot.com/
We have bundled a set of lessons in this Photoshop download package that will allow your students to learn basic and
intermediate photo editing skills with Photoshop to transform pictures into stunning works of art. In addition to the Photoshop for high school students lessons you will also receive activities, web searches, and employment skills lessons. When I started selling my lessons the download file was only 12 MB, now you are purchasing over 170 MB of lessons for only $83!
All our lessons for high school students:
*Are ready to use onscreen or printed
*Are reasonably priced
*Contain text instructions and/or video instructions with many screen shots
*Emphasize skills needed for the technology workplace
Lesson contents include:
* 25 Photoshop lessons you can use with CS4/CS5/CS6 with teacher unlimited printing rights in PDF format with samples from other students showcasing what the end results might look like. I sell these for $3 to $5 each on TpT ($80 value)
* 5 Career Skills lessons ($15 value)
* 18 activity/reading sheets (5 paragraph organizer, label the toolbox, reflection sheet, prom flyer/xmas card sheet, rubric bookmarks, image search, birthday ticket invitation, tools you are learning sheet, What is Photoshop?, layer blend modes, adding filters, saving with Photoshop; 15 of the 18 are Microsoft Word files you can edit...good stuff only available with this package, some sold on TpT ($10 value).
* 10 web searches, I used these for short Fridays (I was on block schedule) or when we finished too early. Topics are amusements parks, comics, Disney, Internet, Microsoft Office, paranormal, roller coaster, zombies, ants, I sell these for $3 each($30 value)!
Ordering this bundle saves you about $65 from ordering the lessons separately, a savings of almost 50%!
Photoshop lessons include:
1. Creating an iPod ad (with video)
2. Zombie text
3. Your Favorites Flyer
4. Create a coloring book
5. Edible insect recipe card
6. Hardware flyer
7. Add tears to your picture (with video)
8. Terror castle
9. Frosted background
10. Create a water reflection with your image
11. Make a simple collage (with video)
12. Create a comic out of your picture.
13. Create a background image.
14. Design a collage with warped photos. New Lesson January 2014
15. Transformers text effect lesson.
16. Textured text effect.
17. Sparkles text effect.
18. The great pumpkin challenge! New lesson August 2014
19. Make a web site header with transparent text
20. Christmas tree design! New lesson August 2014
21. Remove backgrounds using layer masks! New lesson March 2014
1. Using careerbuilder.com
2. Using the occupational outlook handbook (with video)
3. Using a flash drive (with video)
4. Using ONet online
Visit our blog for more details on this awesome teaching bundle: https://engagingtechlessons.blogspot.com/